District 2 — February Report
District 2 has quite a bit of work going on.
The refineries are staying steady, with the 1st quarter turnarounds getting underway. Marathon, Valero, PBF and P66 are all gearing up for this year. Get your RSO and TWIC cards, you will need both by the summer time to enter the refineries. Homeland security has mandated the TWIC card to be a requirement to enter the refineries. Remember that the Local Union still reimburses you for the TWIC card and the RSO (plus the ETI has the RSO class at its facility). We fought for this work, let’s make sure we man the work and fill the calls.
Here is a quick list of work going on in the D2 area:
- Long Beach VA Hospital (Conti Electric)
- Long Beach Memorial Hospital (CSI)
- Cal State Long Beach Student Housing (SASCO)
- Long Beach City College Parking Structure PCH Campus (Apollo)
- Long Beach City College Kinesiology Bldg Carson Campus (Walton Electric) job has not started yet
- AES Battery Storage Facility in Long Beach (Morrow-Meadows) job is a little slow right now
- Long Beach Airport renovations to start soon (Baker Electric)
- Port of Long Beach Carnival Cruise Terminal renovation coming soon
- Port of Long Beach Administration Bldg (Baker Electric)
- Port of Long Beach Container Yard and new Fire House (Dyna Electric)
- Mixed/use high rise in Long Beach corner of Alamitos/Ocean (Rosendin)
- Port of Long Beach and Port of LA solar canopy structures (Perma City)
- San Pedro Ports O’Call is in demo phase, soon to start rebuilding, Cupertino has some of the work.
- New outdoor mall going in Carson across the 405 freeway from IKEA next to the Porsche Experience (Unison)
- SpaceX will be coming to the Port of LA soon, renovating a few of the existing buildings onsite, no contractor awarded the project yet.
These are just some of the larger projects going on in the D2 area. If you are on a project I have not mentioned, give me a shout and I will come by and visit the site.
Also, if you see any projects out there with cranes, fences, moving dirt let myself or Tommy know so we can check on them. Remember one of our main goals is to organize all workers in the electrical field. We stay strong on numbers!!
PLEASE COME TO THE DISTRICT 2 MEETING IN APRIL. IT WILL BE ON APRIL 1st AT THE AMERICAN LEGION
5938 E PARKCREST ST, LONG BEACH 90808.
WE WILL BE HONORING JANE TEMPLIN, AWARDING HER WITH HER 40 YEAR PIN. PLEASE COME AND CONGRADULATE HER AND SHARE SOME STORIES.
As always, it is my honor and privilege to serve this membership as your District 2 Business Agent.
Gary Tomlin Tommy Faavae
(562) 537-5763 (310) 350-9743