District 2 — January Report
Happy New Year my Brothers and Sisters.
Hope everyone enjoyed their holidays with friends and family. 2019 was a great year for the Local and 2020 is sure to be a great year as well.
Work has slowed up during the months of December and January as is typical for this time of year. Hopefully February will see the calls in the D2 area begin picking up.
- Marathon has announced plans to invest $10 Billion in major upgrades at its Carson and Wilmington plants over the next 10 year, with a majority being electrical work. Get your RSO, renew if you already have it. Starting June or July of this year, 2020, you will need a TWIC card to enter the Refinery per Homeland Security. Go get your TWIC card now (they are good for 5 years, it’s just a background check) and the Local will reimburse you for the cost of the TWIC card along with a stipend. There is an Industrial Awareness class at the ETI (there is a stipend for taking this class) that Contractors may be able to put on the call as a requirement for the members to take the call. If you have not worked in the refineries yet, it is great work, so get yourself prepared for this upcoming work. We NEED to man these calls as they come in, we fought hard to secure this work and we need to keep it.
- Long Beach Airport has about 3 to 5 years’ worth of work coming very soon. Baker Elect is set to do this work.
- Long Beach Memorial Hospital has a new project going up right now, just setting steel and decks. CSI is on this job.
- Long Beach VA Hospital has two new buildings going up right now. Steel is set, and decks are going in. Conti Electric is on this project.
- Long Beach, corner of Ocean and Alamitos, there is a mixed-use high-rise going in. Rosendin Electric is doing the work.
- Long Beach City College PCH Campus, a new parking structure is going in. Still in the grading phase, Apollo Electric is doing the work.
- Cal State Long Beach, SASCO is doing a student housing project.
- Port of Long Beach new Administration Building is just getting started. Baker Electric is onsite.
- Port of Long Beach Firehouse and new rail container yards are going in, Dyna Electric is doing the work.
- AES Power Plant in Long Beach is putting in the new battery storage facility, still in the beginning stages. Morrow Meadows is onsite.
- City of Carson has the new outdoor mall still in the dirt phases. Unison is onsite.
- San Pedro Ports O’ Call Village is going under a major redevelopment. Still in the demolition phase.
If you see a project in your travels, green fence, cranes, dirt work, structural steel going on, let us know so we may see if it is one of our Union Contractors onsite.
Remember, the first object of the IBEW Constitution is:
“To organize all workers in the entire electrical industry in the Untied States and Canada, including all those in public utilities and electrical manufacturing, into local unions”.
If you know anyone working in the electrical industry that is not part of this great Local Union, get them in touch with one of our Organizers:
As always, it is my honor and a privilege to serve as your District 2 Representative.
If there any issues, general concerns or questions, please call me.
IBEW Local 11
Business Agent – District 2